Local 363 IBEW Telephone Referral
IBEW Local 363 Telephone Referral
Referral Office Recorder Phone Number: 855-363-JOBS Your Referral #______ www.ibewlu363.org
The union shall maintain an out of work list which shall list the applicants within each group in chronological order of the dates they registered their availability for employment.
These rules will be applied to all applicants who register their availability for employment in the Group that they are entitled to sign in the CBA.
- All applicants who register their availability for referral will be assigned a referral number at signing. This number will not change. An applicant will hold the same referral number until going to work for over ten days or over six weeks on a specialty or as described below. Applicants rejected by an employer maintain their referral number.
- All applicants who register their availability for referral will be given these instructions and the phone number to the referral office when signing the book. All applicants are responsible to know their own referral number, specialties or certifications, expiration and refresher dates.
- After 5:00 PM each business day, the referral numbers of the applicants who registered their availability for referral and will be called by the referral office on the next business morning will be announced on a recorded message and on the official IBEW Local 363 website. JW and Specialty calls will be announced separately. Calling the recorder is optional and is provided as a courtesy for those who want advance notice.
- Beginning at 8:30 AM the next business morning, applicants who registered their availability for referral and whose numbers were within those stated on the referral recorder the night before, must be available to receive a referral call at the number they have listed on the referral system. Friday recordings will be called on Monday morning beginning at 8:30 AM.
- Referrals will then be filled from those who registered their availability for referral from the lowest applicant number to the highest applicant number by the referral office. Applicants will be offered any and all available referrals in this order and will either refuse or take the referrals. Rejecting two job offers at one time will result in two job refusals. No applicant will be asked to refuse the same exact job twice but will be offered the job. Applicants will be allowed to turn down two jobs, after turning down the third job, the applicant is dropped from the referral list.
- Applicants who register their availability for referral will be called twice by the referral office and those that cannot be reached at the contact number on file will receive a refusal if the job(s) are given to an applicant(s) below them on the referral list. The Business Manager has discretion to make an exception for an applicant not answering the call itself due to deaths, catastrophic emergency or medical conditions, or serious illness in the immediate family; written proof may be required.
- Beginning at 10:00 am each morning, if there are still calls to be filled after following the above steps, any applicant who registered their availability for referral in the engaged referral group, may shape the hall for an available call. Calls will be filled promptly at 11:00 am from the lowest to highest number present, signed in and registered in the engaged referral group and all normal referral rules apply. Applicants will sign in with their name and referral number and specialty, if applicable, upon arriving.
- The Business Manager has the responsibility of filling calls in a timely manner. Therefore, a referral may be made outside of normal hours using whatever means available to fill the call and place any registrant(s) in an emergency. In this case, if a call is missed the applicant for employment will not be penalized. This telephone system can be utilized strictly as a day book with 24 hour advance notice announced to the applicants on this website and the telephone recorder system.
- Jury Duty - Applicants whose numbers are within those stated on the referral recorder at 5:00 pm who are to be present for jury duty on that same morning shall call in to the referral agent from 8:00 AM to 8:15 AM and state that they are on active jury duty. The applicant will be required to show written documentation to be excused from referral obligation for each assigned jury duty day. Failure to call in or to provide written documentation will result in an automatic refusal if the applicants referral position is passed in filling a call.
- Emergency Issues - Applicants whose numbers are within those stated on the referral recorder at 5:00 pm having an emergency issue preventing them from being available at the contact number they have on file shall call in to the referral agent from 8:00 am to 8:15 am on the next morning and state the number that they can be reached at.
- Out of Town Grace Period - Referral applicants who qualify for Group one status and have chosen IBEW Local Union 363 as their "home local" and are employed by another IBEW Local Union will be granted a voluntary one year grace period from inclusion in the daily referral distribution due to being gainfully employed. These applicants will not receive or be required to accept a call provided that IBEW Local Union 363 has been notified in writing of the date the employment began and what local it is with. The location is then officially listed next to the applicants name on the group one referral list. Removal of out of town status will trigger referral calls and normal referral rules will apply. Full employment in IBEW Local Union 363 cancels all grace periods at once unless otherwise determined by the Business Manager.
- After One Year Out Of Town - After voluntarily being listed under out of town status for a grace period of one year, applicants must again comply with all referral rules. The business day after that one year period ends, applicants whose numbers are within those stated on the referral recorder at 5:00 pm must follow the normal procedure if their number is called. If a referral becomes available for the applicants position on the referral list, they will be required to either refuse or take the referral. The local union will tell the applicant the date his status as out of town began and the applicant shall have the sole responsibility to monitor that date within the referral system.
- Removing Out of Town Status - After Layoff -Termination of employment within the other IBEW Local union will require the applicant to inform the referral office in writing by the second business day after the layoff to have their out of town status removed. All referral rules immediately apply after removal of out of town status or on the actual layoff date, if confirmed to be different.
- Removing Out of Town Status - Personal Reasons - Applicants who inform the referral office in writing while still working out of town may end their grace period for personal reasons at any time. All referral rules immediately apply after removal of out of town status.
- Salting - Referral applicants who are employed as an approved salt and who have signed a salting agreement with IBEW Local 363 will not be required to accept a call as long as the salting assignment is active and approved by the Business Manager and IBEW Local Union 363 has that information officially listed next to the applicants name on the referral list.
- Vacations - With 5 business days written notice, referral applicants will not be required to accept a call as long as they are on a personal vacation of fifteen days or less cumulative per calendar year and IBEW Local Union 363 has the return date officially listed next to the applicants name on the referral list. The applicant is responsible to inform the referral office of IBEW Local 363 of the beginning date and the return date of such vacation period in writing. Applicants will be required to follow all normal referral rules on the next business day after the listed return date.
- Short Calls - Applicants who receive less than ten (10) days work through no fault of their own or less than six (6) weeks on a specialty call through no fault of their own will retain their referral number by informing the referral agent by 4:30 pm and having their work ticket terminated on the day they are laid off. All referral rules immediately apply thereafter.
- Work Tickets - All applicants who registered their availability for referral and accept a referral are required to come to the union hall by 4:30 pm to pick up their work ticket and any additional information required for that referral. You cannot start work without a referral work ticket
- NYS Disability - Applicants who registered their availability for referral and are on NYS Disability will be removed from the referral list if and when their referral number is within those being offered employment and they are actually offered such employment and are unavailable to accept a referral for covered employment. Applicants removed from the referral list for becoming unavailable for covered employment should contact the Health Fund office to inquire if there are additional benefits available to them while they are on NYS Disability. When the member is no longer on NYS Disability, they may again choose to sign the referral list and register their availability for referral just as any other applicant who is available for employment and qualified may.
Any questions about procedure should be directed to the Business Manager of the union.